Monday, February 18, 2008

Are YOU smarter than a 3rd grader?

Now, the following conversation and events are real and unaltered...

I had lunch today with Jake. And as I'm sitting there watching my 9 year old eat his Chick-fil-a chicken nuggets amongst his other 3rd grade classmates, the conversation between Jake and me turns to politics. We happened upon this topic because Chick-fil-a puts educational toys in their kids meals. (side note: Chick-fil-a has REAL chicken and educational toys, could parents get it any better? They should get a medal or something) The "toy" today was a small key ring booklet of the U.S. Presidents from 1877-1899. And in my house, yes, Jake considers that a toy. He loves history like some kids love Disneyland. Anyway, you all know that I'm studying to take my teaching exam for social studies, and so Jake was offering me up little tidbits to help me remember important facts. Now, don't be frightened that I will be teaching your children next Fall based on that disclosure. Jake is as smart as a whip and knows history like no one else I know. When other kids are watching Nickelodeon, he is glued to the History Channel. Ok, so back to the conversation..here goes.. (it was like one big run on sentence, I just nodded and was captivated..)

"Mom, who do you think is going to run for president, Obama or Hilary? Now, John McCain is out, right? Oh, wait, no he isn't.. John Edwards is! He is the guy who's wife had cancer and wasn't sure if he wanted to run or not. Well, I know Obama is 7 points in the lead, but that doesn't mean he will win. Now Hilary, she is the wife of President Clinton, the guy before George Bush, right? George Bush JUNIOR, not senior. You know, she has a lot of experience because she was in the White House before for a really long time. But when she speaks, I dont know, she kind of hesitates. When that Obama guy talks, he sounds good, almost like Martin Luther King Jr.! (and he put up his fist as he spoke) But, you know, those are just speeches. All these people could just be lying their heads off. And people need to think about that because this person could be president for the next 4-8 years. Do people think about that?"

We discussed it for awhile, he asked my opinions on the candidates.. asked if he could vote. He is disgusted, btw, that you have to be 18. He feels like he should get to vote. And, I might agree.. he just might know more than the average American adult. And we finished off lunch with Lee and Grant, the Civil War, Grant's presidency, and so forth.

Two things.. one, I'm still trying to remember to bring crayons and handiwipes to the restaurant b/c I have a kid (9 years later).. when did we go from "what's that?!" (as he is pointing to a construction truck) to this?!

Second, let me just be really honest and say that when we were in 3rd grade, I'm pretty sure most of us at the lunch table were picking our noses and calling each other turd heads (well, maybe not Matthew Polk).

I am pretty sure my kid is smarter than me.. which is fine, it's even amazing, but wow.. how will I keep up? I guess the answer is, in some areas, I won't. I just need to be available to let him teach me about the things that he loves. And as parents, our goal should be encouraging our children to surpass us in all areas as they develop into adults. It's just mind blowing. Man, I love being a mom.

Spiritual Nugget for the Day: Jake is taking his bible to school w/ him for his outside reading (which I thought was way cool, but anyway..) He told me there is a girl there who everyone makes fun of.. they call her fat and stupid.. so, he does what anyone would do.. he asks her, "Do you believe in Jesus?" She said, "Yes, I do." He said, "Then don't listen to them, just focus on the Spirit." Seriously.........

2 comments:

Biz said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't believe this is in MY genetic stock! Amazing! He's is insane! I love it!!!
hahahahahaha man oh man....

Jazzyspoon said...

this is hilarious!
I love that little man.