Jake was a bandit.. he decided last minute he didn't want to trick or treat. Well, he says he had been thinking about it for a week, but who knew. I thought he was hungry. I thought he was frustrated from some wardrobe malfunctions. I told him he had to go, and that he would regret not doing it. I was wrong. I dragged him out.. he didn't want to participate and the night ended VERY early. Sometimes kids get the "dont want to's" and need a little push to get them outside of their comfort zone. At least that's what we think we are supposed to do... or when it comes to something like this, do we just respect the fact that they don't want do it and let the consequences fall where they may? Once we got out, I let him wrap up quickly and Halloween was over in an instant. He went to only one door.. didn't take his bag, instead he grumpily stuffed a few candy bars into his pockets. That's it.. that's all the candy he got. He said Halloween is a 'humiliation.' Wow, strong words. It may just be him getting older and not liking the attention. Anyway, he has already decided he is NEVER trick or treating again. Sad. I mean, who knows what next year will bring, but wow.. it makes you think, you just never know when their 'last' is.. sigh.Today, I am thankful for: weekends. I'm exhausted.
5 comments:
thinking of your mama heart...those lasts... :(
BUT on the bright side, he will never be like one of the fools who came to our house last night in plain clothes with their own CHILDREN holding out bags to a toddler dressed as a ninja for some free candy.
Sometimes a bit of shame does a person good, right?
(And I love the photo!
I'm with KP on this one, for sure. and I loooooove that photo!! Can't wait to see his face in 3 days!!!!!
this post made me laugh my butt off! I spend a lot of time at work sharing Jake stories with my co-workers and he's the favorite kid of the staff.
oh and by the way, middle school does strange things for trick-or-treating. it's a rite of passage to switch from going out with mommy to terrorizing the neighborhood with your best friend in a really scary mask...
ande didn't want to go for years...he was very firm...he stayed in and handed candy out...and like becca said...when he got to go alone with friends it was a whole new thing...hehehe
hard to believe WE are the excess baggage when WE are so cool...hehehe
Post a Comment