Saturday, March 15, 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it.. and I feel fine..

Romans 12:1-3 "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will. For by the grace given to me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you."

I really love Romans. There is so much good stuff in there! I had a recent conversation with one of my girlfriends about these verses above. And, since then, I have really been thinking a lot about how well I live out what it says.

For the last several months, I've really been focusing more and more on living in God's will in all areas of my life. I decided I will (by His strength) no longer pick and choose where I let Him lead. It has really forced me to evaluate my patterns, my worldliness. I think for the longest time I thought if I gave up what I was still taking from the world, I couldn't be satisfied. I didn't trust that I could be completely satisfied in Christ. That's hard to admit, but I really believe it's a struggle for everyone to some degree, in some area of their lives. And even in times when I think I'm not really struggling, if I'm honest with myself, I will take a good look and find something I'm allowing the world to control. However, what I'm finding is that the more I allow myself to see the truth in my behaviors and in His character.. I see there is complete satisfaction in Him. I've felt it! I just wish it would stay permanently. I wish I could just say.. ok, Lord, that's it, I'm done with.....(blank).. and it would POOF! be gone forever. Our core issues never really go away.. they do get softer and there are times we relinquish control over them and do give them over, but there are days we still wake up.. and say, "REALLY? Again? Ugh..." Ahh, the nature of being human and not in Heaven.

Which of course is why Christ died for us.. and why our Father designed community, fellowship, the church, the Word of Truth, prayer, etc.. Because our imperfect selves are annoyingly belligerent and prideful. And I so love Him for His perfect design in an imperfect world. The world's view and influence can be insidious .. but it isn't bigger than His power. I just need to be on guard, focused on Him and test what I think is right and good against what His truth says. I have so much to learn, and I am always so humbled every time I learn more about my Creator.

So, how do I know I'm in His will? A year ago, I would've had no idea. Now, I ask myself some questions.. Does this bring Him glory? What does my behavior look like when compared to what He says in His word? And the sad thing is that I've been in the world for so long that I don't know sometimes even after asking those questions. I have to ask another godly person to be available to help me sift through something. I'm okay with that.. and I don't mind asking for help. It's just a testament to how warped our views get over time without Christ in the center. But, I also think I'm a living example of what God can do in a person's life. When the bible speaks of transformation, it's really beyond understanding.. it's BIG. And I feel so loved by His patience, persistence and pursuit of me.

Meditation for the Day: John 3:16

No comments: