Friday, January 25, 2008

Potpourri Friday.

My schedule is kickin' my butt. But in a good way. Is there such thing as a good butt kickin'? In my case, I say yes. I've needed one for awhile and in a weird way I'm enjoying it. School is good. It's going to be a lot of work.. it IS a lot of work and time, but it's already the end of January! Everyone in class is talking about what district they want to work in, what schools, etc.. and the closer I get to it all, I'm just excited to see where God wants me. I'm curious and excited because I just have no idea what His plans are! It's like anticipating Christmas morning. When I get that first job, it will be like, okay, this is where He needs me right now. And I'm excited to serve in that way. I'm going to really try and keep my opinions out of it.

In other news... the passing of Heath Ledger. In the wake of his death, it appears that a big, radical Baptist church has decided to protest a memorial to him because he played a gay cowboy in "Brokeback Mountain." It's disturbing and destructive on so many levels. Here is an opportunity for people to show Christ's love, and a "Christian" church decides to get on their soapbox. So, another example to young America (the biggest group of lost and searching) that Christians are hipocritical and exclusive. Makes me mad, ya know? I wish a church who really knows what Christ's love and grace looks like would be just as vocal as this group. Sigh... disappointing.

With the bad rap Christianity gets sometimes, it is no wonder people turn to religions, ahem, cults like Scientology. I did a little research on this and I was SHOCKED at how kooky it really is. First of all, it was completely discovered, ahem, fabricated by a science fiction writer a few decades ago. Apparently, Xenu, the galactic warlord of the universe rescued 76 different species during a war and put them all on Earth 'back in the day.' So, humans are a mix of all of these species, and well, that's why we are so messed up AND why we have certain powers we can tap into. In order to work through this, you can participate in E-meter sessions for the low price of about $400-500/session. All you have to do is hold a couple of metals cans, get some electric current and you can move on to the next level. It may take several sessions to move up a level. Yes, there are levels ..8 to be exact. Tom Cruise, btw, is at a 7.. he is WAY up there. I think he's almost like a Scientology god at this point. Maybe he and Katie Holmes (well, her pod person that replaced the orginal) will be taking over the world soon. Most countries, like over 80%, consider it a cult and do not recognize it as a legitimate religion. Unfortunately, it gets TONS of good press.. by Cruise, Travolta, Will Smith... by people that the 'lost and searching' are looking up to.

So, the question is, what are we going to do about it? It's scary.


What I Loved About Today: My little guy snuggling right next to me.. oh, how I miss him during the week.

1 comment:

Andrew Clarke said...

Hi Sarah,
I see what you mean about Heath Ledger, and the church taking an unkind attitude to him, but I can see another slant on it, too. With due respect, who did the most to help the world, Heath Ledger or Mother Teresa of Calcutta? Next question: who gets the most publicity at the time of their death? I don't want to be cruel about Heath Ledger. His death was very sad. But does it ever seem to you that the amount of acclaim a person gets in life bears little relationship to the amount of genuine good they do? It's a shame, but dozens of other people the same age died the same day. Anyway, I hope you have as much to be glad of in life as you do to be sad about. Best wishes