Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dose of Jake.

Today, Jake told me he really liked his teacher. When asked what she was like, he said, "Oh, she's wooooonderful! She's so fun! Some of the other kids have said she's mean, but she's not, mom. A teacher HAS to discipline. We can't be running around the room like a bunch of monkeys, ya know? We need discipline AND fun.. she's a good mix."

While driving in the car this afternoon, Jake said to me, " Mom? Do I need some cologne?" I said, "Well, no. Why would you think that?" He said, "Well, some of my friends are wearing it.. ya know, the stuff you put under your arms." I asked, "Deodorant?" Jake replied, "Yes, I think I'm getting man-stink." I just laughed.. I said "You don't stink yet." He said, "Okay."

Tonight, he asked me if were going to go on a mission trip together in the near future. I told him I was seriously considering it. He said, "I just feel like I'm ready. I feel like something inside of me is needing to tell people the 'good news'! I am just so excited to tell the good news to all people. So, let me know when we can do that."

He said that his teacher told him today they will be studying the Civil War at the end of this year.. and he said, "All I could think in my mind was.. Halleluiah! Halleluiah!" (and yes, he sang it with his arms raised in the air) Who knows, maybe he will talk her into a civil war reenactment. He offered her some of his books to borrow for the lessons.

Yes, Angela is in his class this year.

Dose of Jake Sweetness: On his "All About Me" worksheet today at school, he wrote his favorite thing to do was praise the Lord. As he was telling me this story, he busted out in song.."Oh praise the one who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead.."

3 comments:

Biz said...

oh man, i'm totally crying!
that entire post made my heart so full it could burst!
GOD IS SO GOOD!!!! i am so so so thankful for His faithfulness to care for and protect Jake's heart all these years... WHAT AN AWESOME GOD!

oh and until there's an international trip you decide to take - there are missions projects you can do in Dallas or nearby cities with him... thanksgiving is coming and i know shelters need help wit serving food, etc. the holidays are a great time to actually get out there and DO something. :)

Unknown said...

I'm right there too. How amazing to see such a young man that just GETS IT! There are so many people decades older than Jake that don't see the Lord for who He is. Sar, I hope you know what an amazing job you are doing raising him to be a Godly man. God gave you a huge responsibility and man, what rewards. He is such an awesome kid.

Kristen said...

sorry for the late comment on this--while I totally thought matthew's favorite story would be the rejoicing over the civil war (for obvious reasons), he laughed louder and harder at the 'man stink' comment. Men. who can understand them?